Established in 1981, headquartered in Bangalore, Infosys is a 2nd largest Indian MNC IT services company which provides business consulting, information technology and outsourcing services. Including Narayana Murthy, there are totally 7 founders who founded Infosys but one of the founders Ashok Arora didn’t believe in them and quit Infosys soon. But Narayana Murthy totally believed in them and started working hard and the rest is history now.
In this article, I’m going to take you through the journey of Infosys, that is their key milestones right from the year they started the company.
- Narayana Murthy and his 6 friends started Infosys with an initial capital of US $250.
- Soon after started, they got their very first client Data Basics Corporation from Newyork.
- Infosys relocated it’s headquarters from Pune to Bangalore.
- Opened their first International Office in Boston, US.
- The company goes public and introduces Employee stock options program.
- Acquires ISO 9001/TickIT Certification.
- Opens a development center at Fremont.
- Opens their first office in the European continent, UK.
- Implemented E-business practices.
- Infosys Foundation is established.
- Opens an office at Toronto, Canada.
- Infosys Enterprise Solutions are started.
- Infosys Business Consulting Services is launched.
- Company gets listed on NASDAQ.
- Revenue touches US$ 100 million.
- Becomes the 21st company in the world to achieve a CMM level 5 certification.
- Opens offices in Sweden, Australia, Germany and Belgium.
- Revenue touches US$ 200 million.
- Banks 2000 was re-launched as Finacle.
- Opens offices in France and Hong Kong.
- Revenue touches US$ 400 million.
- Infosys getting rated as the best employer by Business World/Hewitt.
- Narayana Murthy getting rated among 25 most influential businessmen in the world by Time Magazine/CNN.
- Opens offices in UAE and Argentina.
- Revenue touches US$ 500 million.
- Nilekani takes over as CEO from Murthy.
- Business process outsourcing services Progean is launched.
- Opens offices in Netherlands, Switzerland and Singapore.
- Sponsors Secondary ADS offerings.
- Establishes subsidiaries in China and Australia.
- Annual revenue reaches US$ 1 Billion.
- Infosys Consulting Inc. is launched.
- Selected to the global MAKE hall of fame.
- Achieves the largest international equity of US$ 1 billion from India.
- Narayana Murthy retires after turning 60.
- Employee strength : 50,000 plus.
- Annual revenue reaches US$ 2 Billion.
- Silver Jubilee is celebrated.
- Quarterly revenue crosses US$ 1 billion.
- Kris Gopalakrishnan takes over as CEO.
- Revenue crosses US$ 4 billions.
- Annual net profit touches US$ 1 billion.
- Employee strength : 1,00,000 plus.
- Got selected as member of The Global Dow.
- Annual revenue crosses US$ 5 billions.
- Kamath takes over chairmanship from Murthy.
- Shibulal takes over as CEO from Kris Gopalakrishnan.
- Employee strength : 1,25,000 plus.
- Revenue crosses US$ 6 billions.
- Company got listed in Forbes’s world’s most innovative companies.
- Infosys acquires Lodestone Holding AG, Switzerland based management consultancy.
- Got listed on NYSE market.
- Infosys EDGE wins the NASSCOM Business Innovation Award.
- Awarded with Environmental Tracking Carbon Ranking Leader award.
- Dr. Vishal Sikka takes over as CEO from Shibulal.
- Revenue crosses INR 50,000 crore.
- Infosys acquires Skava, Panaya Inc., Noah Consulting LLC within the same year.
- Company announces US$ 250 million for “Innovate In India Fund” to support Indian Startups.
This is not the end. This is just the start and a lot more on its way in future.
Thank you for reading our article and if you have any doubts/queries/suggestions, please feel free to comment below. If you find this article useful and knowledgeable, please share it with your circle. You can even contact us privately through the contact form or through social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter, Google+ etc.