Everyone wants to have beautiful nails, but brittle nails can spoil the nail beauty. Weak and brittle nails that will easily crack down or chipped is a common problem affecting both men and women. There are three factors that cause brittle nails – aging, long-term use of nail polish and frequent exposure to cold water.
Brittle nails can be associated with diseases, such as hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, lung conditions, psoriasis, lichen planus and endocrine disorders. Worry not, here we come up with some natural home remedies for you.
1. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is very nourishing oil. The saturated fat in coconut oil works as best moisturizer. It also prevent many kinds of nail infections.
- Warm some coconut oil and apply it on nails. Massage gently and thoroughly for ten minutes. This will improve blood circulation and helps to keep nails moisturized. Follow this remedy three times daily.
- Alternative is to mix 1/4 cup of warm coconut oil and a little lemon juice in a container. Put your nails in this solution for 15 minutes before sleeping. Wear gloves during sleep for best results.
- Follow these remedies for 3-4 weeks until your nails become healthy and strong. Along with coconut oil, you can also use olive oil.
2. Apple Cider Vinegar
Apple cider vinegar is a good remedy for nails. It has nutrients that are good for your nails such as vitamins, potassium, magnesium, calcium and iron.
- Mix equal amounts of apple cider vinegar with water in a bowl.
- Put your nails in this solution for 10 minutes.
- After some minutes, gently push down the cuticles.
- Do this daily and within a few days your nails will become pretty.
3. Vitamin E Oil
Often main reason behind brittle nails is lack of moisture. Vitamin E is a great remedy to keep your nails moisturized and hydrated. It will also help strengthen and nourish your nails.
- Take a vitamin E capsule to extract the oil.
- Apply oil on your nails before sleeping.
- Massage for five minutes to help increase circulation of blood.
- Repeat it daily for two weeks.
- For better results, you can take vitamin E capsules orally.
4. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil helps treating nails, especially when caused by fungal infections. Being a powerful antiseptic, it fights infections.
- Mix 1/2 teaspoon of vitamin E oil and few drops of tea tree oil.
- Rub this solution over each nail and massage gently for a 10 minutes.
- Leave it on for half an hour.
- Rinse it off using lukewarm water, let it dry and apply a moisturizing lotion.
- Do this twice a day.
5. Sea Salt
Sea salt got many healing minerals that are good for nails. It helps in strengthening brittle nails and adds a brilliant shine to your nails.
- Mix 2 tablespoons of grain sea salts in a bowl of lukewarm water.
- Add few drops each of wheat gram oil and frankincense, myrrh and lemon oils.
- Put your nails in this solution for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Rinse it off using lukewarm water.
- Repeat this remedy thrice a week and soon you will notice the results.
Thank you for reading our article and if you have any doubts/queries/suggestions, please feel free to comment below. If you find this article useful and knowledgeable, please share it with your circle. You can even contact us privately through the contact form or through social networking sites like Facebook, Twitter, Google+ etc.