Those who care about their health often face questions about how to choose the right orthopedic pillow and where to start the selection.
Here are the parameters for choosing a pillow.
Choosing the Form
Orthopedic pillows can be:
- With one roller – to support the neck.
- Rectangular with two rollers – to support the neck and head.
- With a notch under the shoulder – for those who are used to sleeping on their side.
- Classical – without bolsters, shaped like a down pillow.
- Butterfly-shaped pillows can be used in any sleeping position.
The rectangular shape of the pillow with two rollers has long been a top seller among thousands of customers.
But manufacturers can also offer such shapes as butterflies, classic shapes without shafts, single narrow shafts. These forms solve their problems, for example, the butterfly-shaped pillow is perfect for those who sleep on their stomach.
Also Read: Best Bedroom Colors For A Good Night’s Sleep
Choosing the Size of the Pillow
The pillow shouldn’t be too short. In this case, there is a risk of slipping off it in your sleep. As a rule, pillow manufacturers suggest a length of 40 to 60 centimeters. With such a pillow, you can play slots for mobile from your bed for hours and feel comfortable.
As for the width of the product, its size varies from 30 to 50 centimeters. The choice of size depends on your personal preferences.
For our customers, the pillow length of 50 cm and width of 30 cm is the optimal solution. These sizes allow you to sleep “without falling off” the pillow, as well as to turn freely to any side.
How to Choose the Height of a Pillow
This is the key parameter when choosing a pillow that will support your head and cervical area in the correct position. A suitable pillow supports the head at the same level as the body. This preserves the natural curves of the spine.
To know “your” height of the pillow, use simple measurements. Measure the distance from the base of the neck to the edge of the shoulder, as shown in the picture below. This length will be the height of the roll. The resulting measurement can be equal to the length of the shoulder.
Choose the Material of the Pillow
The filler of the pillow can be made of natural or synthetic material. Both varieties cope well with their function. The advantage of a synthetic filler is that it will not cause allergic reactions if there is a tendency to them.
The most important thing in choosing a material is the individual feel, as each material gives a different feel.
Here are popular options for sleeping pillow filler:
- Latex gives the effect of elasticity and will appeal to lovers of tall pillows, as well as those who are used to sleeping on their backs. This high-quality natural material is made from the sap of the Brazilian Hevea.
- Polyurethane foam is a synthetic hypoallergenic, elastic filler that is advantageous in price. At the same time, the pillow made of such material lasts, on average, five years.
- Viscoelastic foam with memory effect is an environmentally friendly, breathable, durable, hypoallergenic material. In fact, it is a kind of polyurethane foam, but due to special additives, it is more viscous and softer in structure.
Also, pillows can consist of buckwheat husk, polyester.
Often people choose pillows with a memory effect because thanks to this property of the material you will not feel the pressure of the pillow. A special filler gently and softly takes the shape of your head and neck. Your head feels as if it is floating weightless.
Decide on the Hardness of the Pillow
A soft pillow is an option for those who are used to sleeping on the stomach: it reduces muscle tension, eliminates pain in the cervical spine.
A medium-hard pillow is comfortable for those who are used to sleeping on their back: it can smooth out such drawbacks as snoring and lower back pains.
Hard pillows are for those who like to sleep on their side: support the natural curvature of the cervical spine.
Manufacturers rarely indicate information about the rigidity of the pillow, as this parameter is subjective. For you, the pillow can seem soft, while your friend will find it too hard.
Here are the most common additional features:
- Removable cover with a “zipper”. Its presence will allow you to wash the cover, check the condition of the pillow filler and lay more of it if necessary.
- Massage effect. It is achieved due to the special ribbed surface of the pillow.
- Pillow shafts adjustable in height. Included with this pillow are additional removable blocks, so you can increase or decrease the rollers for maximum comfort.
- Antibacterial properties. They will help protect facial skin from irritations and pimples, reduce the likelihood of unpleasant odors over time.
The more extra “features” your pillow has, the more expensive it will be.